Fear is what you feel, BRAVE is what you do about it. Fear is when a soldier loses her limbs and faces a life of disability. Brave is when she decides to learn how to use prosthetic limbs and compete as a runner. Fear is when bombs rain down on your city threatening your family’s lives. Brave is when you decide to take your family on the treacherous journey across seas to find sanctuary in another land and rebuild life from scratch elsewhere. Fear is when you worry about your child’s safety and well being. Brave is when you stand up for her and help her to make the changes that will make her life better.
Flipping fear into bravery is a life skill we can all learn, and we don’t have to wait until disaster strikes in order to learn it. It requires unearthing your limiting beliefs, breaking bad habits and building new ones, and it demands the strengthening of your creative muscle by harnessing your imagination for useful not fearful projected thoughts. Brave is a shift in mindset. You can practice it on a daily basis, and the more you do the better you get at it. Then when bad stuff happens, which it inevitably does at some point, you are well-rehearsed in grabbing your bravery first aid kit and preparing to do what it takes to make the situation better for yourself.
“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.”Winnie the Pooh
Learning to be brave is not easy, it takes hard work and commitment. It takes the willingness to create a vision for yourself, set the goals to make that vision happen, to take the steps, to build your will power, a positive belief system and a set of healthy habits. Bravery is persistence in the face of adversity, it is patience when there seems to be no end in sight, it is failing over and over again and being able to pick yourself up and keep going.
Most of us need support in learning to be Brave. Here’s how I can support you:
- Life coaching– a six session programme with me in which you learn to get from fear to bravery
- School of Life- Becoming Fearless workshop with me on 11th October
- Brave New Girl- How to be Fearless. You can buy a signed copy at my art exhibition 6th-9th October at The Other Art Fair The Old Truman Brewery, London or you can purchase the book through Amazon or any good bookshop
- Join in the Talk with me at Waterstones Islington 12th October
Other resources for learning fearlessness, that have happened with me this month
- Brave New Girl features in today’s Daily Express Column Happy Mondays
- Read my article on the Empty Nest Syndrome in The Guardian
- My guest radio appearances on Joy Cardin Show or BBC Radio Jo Good Show
- Some insider stuff from me on Honest Mum’s Blog
- How I overcome anxiety in Healthista magazine
- Talking about Being Fearless in The Standard Issue Magazine